Sunday, February 10, 2013

Your Inner Artist.

Something interesting happened to me today.  I have been struggling with my sunday school kids.. They have a hard time recognizing the arabic letters from week-to-week, let alone write them.  So, I changed up my style of teaching.  A close family friend of mine, Maryam Sarrafee,  introduced a new method to me.  Stories.  Bring the letters to life and give them a personality.  Give them a story. 

A complete miracle.

We made ain and ghain into monkeys, turned fa into a magical flower, and sang poetry with alif ba.  Oh Maryam, how you have saved me!  The point was not simply the stories, but seeing the light in their eyes shine.  No, no worksheets today kids.  Today, we're using the best instrument God gave us - our mind.  We're mystifying this classroom into arabic letter land.  Oh, imagine... just imagine what you can do!

Your inner artist.

This has me thinking.  How flawed is our education system!?  What happened to keeping that imagination?  Reviving the arts in even the dullest of subjects?  Children are born with the greatest and most powerful creative thoughts.  They should be nurtured, motivated, and inspired.  Yet, if not encouraged, that gift is left in the dark.  That artist, he lives inside of you.  He has the ability to craft the most eclectic and finite world.  You just have to let him shine.

So, I am going back to my roots, searching for my inner artist.  Will you find yours? 

Good luck.

Below, two of my most recent works in progress.





1 comment:

  1. The stories are all Mary! Sounds like a wonderful day at Sunday School...the most beautiful part, "And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same " ;)

    ReplyDelete